The votes are tallied and the results are in. From a field of 64 films, featuring a cast of very memorable characters... one movie, and one man, now stands alone, reigning supreme. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory has emerged victorious in Chew Chainz' inaugural March Movie Madness bracket to name the greatest kid's movie ever!
Wonka , a #3-seed, dominated the Non-Animated Movie Division, defeating Babe, Mary Poppins, The Wizard of Oz and Hook, before blowing out Shrek in the Final Four and notching another dominant victory, over Lion King, in the Final. Over six rounds of voting, Wonka's average margin of victory was 75%-to-25%. The 1971 film has aged well, and like Roald Dahl's original story, the legend of Wonka continues to grow with each telling.
For those of you who may still doubt Wonka's credentials as the greatest kid's movie ever, let's not forget that its message of greed vs. goodness is as resonant today as it has ever been. For naughty children, Wonka is pure Old Testament, fire and brimstone, a god of vengeance and wrath. He is judge, jury and executioner, in a purple suit and top-hat. But, for good boys and girls, like young Charlie Bucket, he is a loving and benevolent god; one who possesses the proverbial "keys to the kingdom."
So, in honor of this victory, here are some of Chew Chainz' favorite quotes - the "Tao of Wonka," if you will:
1) We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams
2) Invention, my dear friends, is: 93% perspiration; 6% electricity; 4% evaporation; and, 2% butterscotch ripple
3) A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men
4) If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it; want to change the world... there's nothing to it.
5) There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be.
Agree or disagree with the result? We'd love to hear from you: email@example.com or #chewchainz